Taemin released his second mini album ‘Want’ on February 11th along with a music video for the title track of the same name. I have been a fan of his solo work since his full album release in late 2017 ‘Move’ and that title track was one of my top songs of 2017. I didn’t think there was any way Taemin could top Move, but my god he has somehow managed it.
The album features 6 full length tracks + an outro. The whole vibe of the album is Taemins usual dirty sexy and sensual signature sound that I’m a huge fan of. Want is straight up a song about how he seduces us, I mean, the guy is self-aware of how much he slays his fans at least and he works it. This album does have a bit more of a dark gothic feel with some of its tracks, particularly ‘Shadow’. ‘Truth’ and ‘Monologue’ are slower and more heartfelt songs and ‘Never forever’ is a bit lighter and we are left with a nice haunting outro. I can’t help but feel that Monologue may be a song about his fellow SHINee member Jonghyun who sadly passed.
Want is easily one of my top songs of 2019 and we are still only in February! Have you listened to Taemin’s new album? What is your favourite song? I have ordered the physical album from Yesasia to add to my collection. If you haven’t heard it and are curious, I’ve included some links for you to check out.
Books I read and finished in January
This was one of my best reading months so far at a total of 7 books + the end of Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas. The Wicked King’s release date was coming up and I’d yet to read The Cruel Prince by Holly Black so it was now or never to see what the hype is all about, and I’m glad I did! I really enjoyed The Cruel Prince and The Lost Sisters which is the short novella between the 2 books. I read The Wicked King near the end of the month and enjoyed it as much as Cruel Prince, but now I have to wait at least a year for the third book to come out. sigh.
I also joined the FairyLoot read along for December’s book, Fire & Heist by Sarah Beth Durst, I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. A really fun YA that read more like a middle grade for me, lot’s of fun and great characters. I also read an actual middle grade that has received a lot of hype over the past year, Nevermoor by Jessica Townsend. For me it did live up to the hype and I will be continuing in the series.
I read the third Wayward Children book by Seanan McGuire, Beneath the Sugar Sky in anticipation for the fourth book coming out February 1st. These books never seem to let me down and it is always a guaranteed enjoyable read for me, so far at least. I also read a nice surprise, The Twisted Tree by Rachel Burge came out this month and I had an eARC from Netgalley to read. This was way more creepy and way more enjoyable than I thought, so much so that I ended up trading for the physical version of the ARC. The other eBook I read this month was Return to Dyatlov Pass by J.H. Moncrieff. A fiction taken inspiration from the real life event of the Dyatlov Incident in where a bunch of Russian students died during a dangerous ski expedition in 1959. This book is set in 60 years after the incident where a new group travel the same path in an attempt to try to figure out the mystery behind the Dyatlov deaths. Very creepy read.
Book reviews for these reads that aren’t already up on my blog will all be up soon. By the end of the month I was half way through Orange by Ichigo Takano and had started reading A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab.
I don’t usually do set TBR’s for the month as it always ends up changing, but here are the books I will definitely be reading in February. In An Absent Dream by Seanan Mcguire, the latest book in the wayward children series that just came out, a guaranteed good time. I’ll be finishing A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E Schwab and collection 1 of Orange by Ichigo Takano. I have an eARC for In The Night Wood by Dale Bailey to read and review, I also have Memory of Water by Emmi Itaranta to read and annotate for our UK travelling book club, all other books are yet undecided.
Favourite K-Pop releases in January
Animal Crossing for Nintendo Switch update: STILL NO NEWS
I’ve listened to A LOT of K-pop this year but obviously not every release. This is just my personal favourites list from this year, not necessarily in this exact order but close enough.
- NCT 127: Touch – Ok I don’t even stan NCT but this song makes me SO HAPPY and I’ve played it throughout the year whenever I’ve needed cheering up. Also Yuta in the MV is just adorable. Top spot for giving me all of the good feels.
- LOONA: Favorite – A group that I do stan and finally debuted as a 12 member group this year, although not the title track, Favorite just feels so Loona to me and I love the MV. Fierce ladies and a great track. STAN LOONA.
- Kim Donghan: Sunset – Former member of the group JBJ, Donghan released this as his first solo title track and just wow. He looks and sounds AMAZING and I couldn’t stop playing this song when it came out.
- The Rose: Baby – Pure perfection, need I say more. Woosungs voice is magic. This group is still too under rated. I hope 2019 is a strong year for them.
- Nu’est W: Help Me – My ultimate group, Nu’est W’s last release before Minhyun returns from Wanna One to them next year. They have done so well since Produce101 and I am SO PROUD. I can’t wait for Minhyuns return.
- Nu’est W: Dejavu – Same as above.
- Noir: Airplane Mode – An extremely talented yet UNDER RATED GROUP! Noir debuted early this year and both mini albums they have released have been SO GOOD. I truly hope they get more recognition next year.
- D-CRUNCH: Stealer – Same as above. These guys debuted this year and I’ve had this song on repeat for a long time.
- BTS: Trivia: Seesaw – Finally a BTS song. Suga’s solo song from the Love Yourself Answer album just blew me away.
- Jonghyun: Just For A Day – Ah, Jonghyun. This is from my favourite full length album released this year, Poet Artist. Every song is so good, but this one is my favourite. A true artist.
- LOONA: Egoist – Olivia Hye was the 12th and last member of LOONA to be revealed and this was the song she debuted with, and it’s one of my favourite LOONA solo songs.
- BTS: Singularity – Taehyung’s solo song from Love Yourself: Tear, he is my BTS bias and well, that voice.
- BTS: IDOL – I don’t think much needs to be said about this one, it’s BTS.
- BoA: Woman – The queen of Kpop finally had a release this year that I LOVED. Long live the queen.
- Leo: Cover Girl – Leo from Vixx released his first solo album this year and this is my favourite track from it.
- (G)I-DLE: Latata – Probably the most popular female group debut of the year.
- Wanna One: Boomerang – Wing Wing Wing Wing.
- fromis_9: Love Bomb – The only release so far from fromis that I’ve loved, it’s damn catchy.
- Monsta X: Shoot Out – Another group I havn’t really liked any release from until they blew me away with this comeback.
- Twice: Yes or Yes – I feel like I have to put this on here because it’s been stuck in my head since it came out.
What have been your top K-pop songs from 2018?